For Car Accidents
In Slidell, Louisiana
Have you or a loved one suffered life-altering injuries after a car accident? The overwhelming stress and worry injured victims face can impact their lives significantly. At the Law Office of Andrew R. Schwing, our car accident lawyers are dedicated to helping injured victims receive the compensation they deserve. Consultations are free, confidential, and at no obligation to you or your loved ones.
Common Causes of Vehicle Accidents
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), distracted driving took 3,142 lives in 2019. Distracted driving is anything that takes the driver’s attention away from driving safely. This can include texting, eating, talking on the phone, and reaching for items in the vehicle. In many cases, distracted driving is caused by cell phones and can lead to devastating accidents.
Driving while not alert is dangerous. Numerous people fall asleep behind the wheel resulting in accidents, and in some cases, death. That’s why people who are not well-rested before getting behind the wheel should never operate a motor vehicle.
The effects of driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol greatly impact drivers and their ability to focus and make safe decisions. While drug and alcohol usage cases have declined, it continues to be an issue on the roads.
Reckless driving covers a wide range of behaviors such as speeding, running red lights, not using turn signals, and failing to stop at stop signs. Unsafe behaviors while driving can result in serious injuries or death.
Most Common Injuries After a Car Accident
Depending on the extent of the accident, injuries will vary. However, the most common types of car accident injuries include the following:
-Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs)
-Spinal cord damage
Types of Compensation Available
If you or a loved one were injured due to the negligence of another driver, compensation may be available for damages such as:
-Pain and suffering
-Loss of earnings
Car Accident Laws in Louisiana
In the state of Louisiana, a victim who suffered injuries due to the negligence of another individual has exactly one year to file a lawsuit. Failure to file a lawsuit during that time may result in little to no compensation. Also, Louisiana is a comparative fault state. This means if you are partially found at fault for the accident, any compensation you receive will be reduced by how much you are responsible.
What to Do After a Car Accident in Slidell
The moments immediately following an accident can be scary and overwhelming. It’s essential to know how to proceed to ensure you protect any compensation you may be entitled to. Here are five steps to take after a motor vehicle accident:
- Contact emergency personnel – Make sure to call emergency responders. Also, it’s vital to have a police report describing the details of the accident, which can help you if you file a lawsuit.
- Gather evidence – Collecting evidence such as taking photos of the scene, asking for the contact information of any witnesses, and the insurance information of the driver/drivers involved is imperative to supporting a potential claim.
- Seek medical attention – Even if you do not appear injured, it’s in your best interest to have an evaluation done by a medical professional. In some cases, pain from a vehicle accident will not become apparent until days or even months later. For this reason, seeking medical attention after an accident can make a difference when requesting compensation for damages.
- Do not talk to insurance adjusters – Insurance adjusters do not have your best interest at heart and will attempt to offer you a lower settlement than you deserve. For this reason, having an experienced car accident lawyer fighting on your behalf will make a difference.
- Contact a Slidell car accident lawyer – With the help of our experienced attorneys, you can trust that your case is in the hands of those on your side.
How an Experienced Car Accident Lawyer Can Help
At the Law Office of Andrew R. Schwing, our car accident lawyers understand the damaging impact of a vehicle accident. Our team can review your claim and help you understand your legal options. If you are entitled to compensation, we can help you receive the money you rightfully deserve.
Call 504-613-0621 or complete our contact form to request a confidential
consultation to discuss your legal concerns.